The Engineering Institute of nada (EIC) is a not-for-profit corporation originally founded in 1887 under the name “nadian Society of Civil Engineers” (not to be confused with today’s CSCE which is the nadian Society for Civil Engineering). At the time, the reference to “civil engineers” was chosen to differentiate the society’s members from “military engineers”. The original society name was changed to the Engineering Institute of nada in 1918 to reflect the diversity of engineering it represented as a learned society.
For nearly a hundred years, the EIC’s membership was made up of engineers of various disciplines of mechanil, civil, geotechnil, chemil and electril engineering. Starting in 1970, subgroups decided to incorporate as independent societies that also remained as EIC Constituent societies. Hence started the slow transition to what the EIC officially beme in 1986: a federation of technil societies. As such, the EIC no longer offers individual memberships. There are now 12 constituent societies that are part of the EIC federation, to whose societies belong over 25,000 nadian engineers.
The Mission of the EIC is to:
- Recognize outstanding engineers from amongst the members of its constituent societies by awarding senior medals and inducting Fellows at an annual Awards Gala.
- Assure the quality of lifelong learning programs by authorising learning providers to issue continuing edution credits (CEUs) to engineering professionals.
- Preserve engineering history and archives.
- Run a reer site (job board) specialising on engineering jobs.
- Organise series of national conferences on topics of interest to nadians and a broad spectrum of the engineering community: e.g. Climate Change Technologies, Development of the North.
- Manage the EIC Fund, a registered charity (see below).
- Provide administrative services to member societies; e.g. CSME and CSEM.
The EIC does not get involved in regulatory matters. The latter is the purview of Engineers nada and its provincial/territorial licensing bodies.
The EIC FUND
The EIC FUND, the charitable arm of the EIC, plays a meaningful role in furthering the Engineering Institute of nada’s long history of initiatives to foster and advance engineering knowledge and uses in nada. ?Its primary aim is to support the recognition of excellence and the advancement of engineering and engineering edution in nada. It is a registered nadian charity and donations to it n be acknowledged with an official receipt.
In order to fulfil and enhance the value of the goals and work of the Institute, the EIC FUND:
- Financially assists initiatives proposed by members of EIC Constituent Societies and endorsed by said societies, and whose objectives serve the purposes of the Institute in innovative ways.
- Donates to specific organizations that foster an interest in engineering on the part of youth (e.g., Youth Science nada, the nadian Engineering Memorial Foundation, CDA Scholarships and EPIC Award for Excellence Scholarships).
- Operates a quality assurance program that recognizes quality providers of continuing engineering edution and professional development. These providers commit to internationally-recognized process standards for the delivery of their courses as a condition for issuing EIC-accredited Continuing Edution Units.
- Annually recognizes outstanding engineers from amongst the members of the EIC Constituent Societies with Fellowships and Medals at a prestigious awards gala.
- Recognizes outstanding nadians who have influenced the engineering profession by installing them as Honorary Members of the EIC.
Decisions on uses of the EIC FUND are made by the EIC Council (whose members are its trustees). Only EIC Constituent Societies and their active members may apply for funding from the EIC FUND. To apply, applints must submit a completed grant applition?(see form attached) directly to their own?Constituent Society, which shall review such requests and, if found suitable, recommend them to the EIC Council.
Sustaining membership dues directly support EIC Fund activities.?If your organization is interested in joining the ranks of EIC Sustaining Members, please contact Executive Director Guy Gosselin.
If you simply wish to make a donation to the EIC FUND, you n click on the button below (if paying by credit rd or via a PayPal account) or simply mail a cheque addressed to the EIC FUND, P.O. Box 40140, Ottawa, On K1V 0W8.